Saturday, May 9, 2009

It's not always when we have something that we celebrate

Earlier this week I was reading a newsletter put out by World Vision and there was an article in it that really struck a chord in my heart. It was about people in a community in Kenya struggling to stay nourished and provide for their families. They talked about serious drought, famine, wars, and other difficulties related to meeting their basic human needs. In the midst of the daily struggle to live, World Vision workers attended a church service with people from the community. This is what transpired...

The pastor begins the service. “For two years, we didn’t have rain,” he says. “But for two days, we’ve had rain. We give God blessings.” The congregation responds with an offering, collecting a few rumpled Kenyan shillings in a basket. Two older women dance the basket to the altar, circling each other like crested cranes dancing in a field. Later, I speak with one of the women, Ekadel Ngiro. “What happens if there is no money?” I ask. “We dance even if it is empty, because God sees us and understands us,” she says. “It is not always when we have something that we celebrate.”

For me, I don't want to be a wave tossed about by the moment- I want to love God in a way that He is worthy of being loved...in every circumstance of my life...in every season..in every period of waiting that feels unbearable. He is The Great I AM, Creator, Lover, Life-Giver, Perfect One...AND I WILL PRAISE HIM!

2 comments:

  1. With tears rolling down my cheeks I am so blessed by your heart and by the reminder that GOD IS FAITHFUL, ALL THE TIME, regardless of our circumstance! Thanks for sharing that story...it makes me miss Africa and the purity of worship there.

    ReplyDelete

Followers