- We spent 8 hours at the immigration medical testing clinic in Nairobi on Monday to get clearance for the boys to travel.
- At the end of the day, the doctor called us into her office (this is never a good sign)
- She informed us that Levi's tests for HIV were "inconclusive." This means that he had 2 results that were slightly positive and 2 results that were negative (they repeated the test 4 times on the 1st day). He tested negative in Rwanda before the nuns referred him.
- She asked us to come back the next day so they could repeat the test and try to find more conclusive results. The results for the second day were the same (2 slightly positive and 2 negative).
- They took more blood and sent it to South Africa to check his DNA.
- We cannot receive Levi's visa to leave the country until these results are back, which will take a minimum of 5 working days.
- If he turns out to be negative, we can leave as soon as the visas are processed.
- if he turns out to be HIV positive, we will have to go through additional paperwork and processes that could take an undefined amount of time in Kenya.
There are many things that can cause the rapid HIV test to be positive, including antibodies left over from the mother and malaria and of course we are praying that one of these is the case. The head of the lab at the clinic says that he is 99.5% sure that the test did not yield accurate results and that he is negative, and the doctor said it is more likely that he is negative than positive, but we have to wait...I hate waiting. Adam and I both believe that God sovereignly placed Levi in our family and even after the short time we have known him, we cannot imagine our life without him. If he is HIV positive, we are glad that he did not test that way in Rwanda because the nuns would not have referred him to us and then we would have missed out on how amazing this little guy is!!! All things considered, please pray that the test results would come back sooner than expected and that Levi would indeed be HIV negative.
We are in Nairobi until at least next week so we send all our love to you from afar!!!
The Dorband 4